Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The “Don” of a new day…

I sat by my parents pool were I had been living for the last few months, preparing for what I would say to Don, and how I would say it…There were two things I didn’t want to happen during the meeting #1 I didn’t want to loose my validity (because I get so excited about this dream, I sometimes don’t explain myself well and sound a little crazy…) #2 I didnt want to come across sounding like my way was the “right” or only way to run this…if they wanted to build this building to enlarge their church campus great, that just wasn’t where I was headed. I realized my best bet was to make an outline…no, have two key words that summed up my business plan…the words came to me, "Unity" and "Community"…I ran inside the house and grabbed a really big Bible, the kind with random words you can look up and find Bible verses for…I picked Ephesians 4:4-6. I met with Don and another man named Rob Herman that afternoon in Don’s office and in hand was that huge Bible along with my thrift store 70’s suitcase filled with dreams and a business plan. “Don before we start I want to read a Bible verse that basically sums up my business plan and everything that I am trying to convay.” I opened my honking huge Bible and read, “There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” I was so worried that I wouldn’t be "heard"…again…but before I even finished reading the verse and explaining why I chose it…Don and Rob’s ears were opened and for the first time, not mine, but GOD’s plan was heard… They loved my ideas, loved them! Even the ones I was afraid to share ‘cause they seemed a little TOO out there. Nothing was being shot down…nothing disregarded…I felt God’s love being poured out through the way these men responded. I continued to share every idea under the sun with these men and for two hours we talked and tear-ed, and laughed at God’s Big plan. “You mean to tell me that in 2005 you were writing this business plan at college in Irvine while we were purchasing the Bogart’s and Lulu’s building?” “Yep.” “Colette, do yo know that of all the verses you could have chose to read from the Bible, you chose the one that was picked by the elders and deacons to represent the year for this church…its on my wall signed and framed behind me…” When I left Don’s office I didn’t know whither to laugh, or cry…so I danced all the way to my car.

No comments: