Friday, September 14, 2007

If your never disappointed you never tried hard enough.

Seven years of saying “I’m going to run a coffee shop when I grow up.” Seven years of telling people all about this dream. Seven years of looking for a business partner. Seven years of feeling like a fool, buying and collecting cups, mugs, plates at thrifts stores and yard sales. And now, after all of this, “To grow up you’ve gotta go home,”
directed my paths back to Visalia and I found myself lost, afraid, lonely, humiliated…and living at home. “what if it never happens what if you never get your coffee shop and you moved home for nothing?” the voice of common sense, the voice I’m sure, many people hear right before they give up their dreams and live a life going to work everyday like everyone else. Doubt, lots of doubt settled in my heart, did God actually tell me to go home? Did God actually tell me to involve churches? I re-found some of my old friends that I had gone to youth group with in Visalia and found out that they were meeting in different homes on Sunday nights. Travis Aicklin an old childhood friend and now my pastor was starting to talk about dreams, dreams that people once had and now for what ever reason don’t go after them anymore. He for what ever reason, remembered how in high school I used to dream and talked about how to wanted to run a coffee shop someday, and asked me if I wanted to share that dream and where I am at with it in my life the following Sunday night. I was pumped! Here was a chance for me to sales pitch this idea to a group of Christians all at once! I looked and treated this night as if it was a business meeting. I was sure someone would want to be my business partner after my enthusiastic, organized, and well presented business pitch. I printed two copies of the 25 page business plan that I had written in college, one for me, and one for my new business partner. Sunday evening rolled around and I arrived at Travis’s home ready to praise God for bringing me home so I could met my partner and start this coffee shop. I entered his living room and looked around wondering who I might be. My parents came too, that meant so much to me…I came, I “sold”, and I left with 2 business plans still in my hand…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dreams are great, but getting others to share the dream is even greater! Very cool.